The Spring Trip has definitely had it’s share of set backs this year. Almost all of them weather related. The first major one was the bridge on Highway One down by Big Sur being taken out by the winter storms. Also late and heavy snow has made riding the Angels Crest Highway impossible.
So I scrapped my original plans and waited for the rain to stop before trying to figure anything else out, because for a while it seemed like every week a different road was washed out or covered by a mudslide. I was hoping for a break in the rain, and while we’ve less rain we still haven’t really left the rainy season it seems.
I was left with dwindling options and just a couple of weeks before the trip I booked some campsites and penciled in some routes.
Well mother nature isn’t done dumping rain on California, which I after too many years of drought I suppose is a good thing. Just not for motorcycling. There is another storm coming to Northern California next week, the week we’re supposed to be motorcycling. Now if we’re lucky it will barely classify as a “storm” more like “normal weather” which for Northern California means rain. I’m just hoping it’s not enough to ruin roads and make us miserable.
So now I’m checking the weather at least five time a day and it’s changing almost that often, which means that I can’t really plan around it, I just have to wait and see. Hoping for the best…