I daydream about what bike I would get next a lot. For years this was simply a mental exercise since the money for a new motorcycle was elusive. Now though the money is hopefully going to be there, which is good since I think the FrankenMonster is rapidly becoming a bike I should stop putting money into.
My criteria for my next motorcycle is the following:
- Enough Horsepower and suspension to make riding with a passenger and light luggage easy and fun.
- Something good for touring, but doesn’t need to be that good on the freeway since I rarely do more than an hour at a time on freeways.
- Idealy it won’t look stupid with a top case, and still make my heart race a little when I see her.
- I need to commute on it, so decent (mid 40’s at least) gas mileage is desired.
- I’d also like something that weighs 450lbs and definitely less than 500lbs.
Most of my criteria would point you toward a bigger capacity bike than I really want though. They tend to get heavy and the bigger capacity engines get bad gas mileage.
So I went to each major motorcycle manufacturer (Aprilia -Yamaha) and looked at what motorcycles met my criteria.
This is what I found. (in no real particular order)
And then there is this one:
Don’t make a bike that meet criteria: KTM, Aprilia, BMW*, MV Augusta, Harley, and Moto Guzzi
*BMW might actually make motorcycles that meet my criteria, but were omitted for obvious reasons