I haven’t been asked this one yet, but since all my motorcycle riding friends have wives that will eventually want to ride I’m doing a preemptive post.
How to ride a motorcycle with a passenger without killing everyone?
How to Carry a Passenger(pillion) on your Motorcycle:
- ALWAYS provide your pillion rider with a helmet and gear, and make sure it is worn properly and fits.
- Make sure that your motorcycle is ‘pillion rider – friendly’. The seat should be large enough to hold the both of your comfortably. Your bike must also have foot pegs for the pillion.
- Give your pillion complete instructions before you hit the road – no matter how experienced a pillion they are, every rider has a different style
- Confirm how you are going to communicate on the road
- If your pillion is inexperienced warn them about the hot areas on the bike like your exhaust
- Remember that with a passenger your motorcycle will most likely accelerate slower, take longer to stop and be more unstable slow speeds, when cornering and going round bends. Take extra care on a pillion ride
- Adjust to the passenger’s weight before you accelerate too much. The extra load will change the way the motorcycle balances, turns, speeds up and slows down
- Keep more distance between yourself and vehicles on either side of you. Look for larger gaps whenever when in traffic
- Warn your passenger when you intend to start moving, stop quickly, turn sharply or ride over a bump, and direct them to hold on tight whenever you’re approaching surface problems or are about to start from a stop
So there it is. Make sure you check out the one for passengers too, it’s always best to send them the link if you know ahead of time. Saves you a lot of explaining as well as making sure you don’t forget anything. Have fun out there!
For More information on this you can always check out: