I had a productive weekend at least in terms of finding motorcycles in my garage. I was mainly planning on digging out FrankenMonster and seeing if I could get her running again, but while I was down there I realized I should really get my wife’s Monster ready for a ride since it’s been sitting for a few months.
I was pleasantly surprised that things went relatively well.
My wife’s bike is on a battery tender so it did start with relative ease. After checking the tire pressure I took it to the gas station via the scenic route and filled it up with fresh gas. Then once back home I checked the chain tension again.
The FrankenMonster was a bit more of a challenge. First I had to find it in the garage. It was under a pile of empty boxes and other random stuff. The garage in general is still full of baby things we have yet to get rid of.
Once I uncovered her I tried to syphon as much fuel out as possible. I struggled with this for a bit when I realized that there wasn’t much in it at all. I then put in a new lithium battery and filled her up with fresh gasoline. I then took a look at the belts.
Even though everything looked to be in good shape I was really nervous when I went to try and start her. Thankfully she got going on the second try.
She needs a good cleaning and probably an oil change. There is a lot of oil that has leaked all over the exhaust so she smokes once that gets up to temperature. She also needs new mirrors and the brake lever is broken. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.